Welcom Andrew McCombe - 7 Steps to be an Authority

This Forum invites a number of experts to be a guest for one week and control discussions on specific topics. The public can gain a great deal of free information from reading the posts, but only members may write posts, add to discussions and ask and answer questions. I hope that everyone enjoys the forums and topics that will be featured.
Barbara Gabogrecan
President

Re: Welcom Andrew McCombe - 7 Steps to be an Authority

Postby Andrew McCombe » Fri May 18, 2012 10:22 pm

Ok now that you have more clarity on what type of website will suit your Trusted Authority business the next step is to ensure your website has the 5 key things that your website must have if you are going to be successful online:

So before you race out and get your website built, it is very important to work with your website designer to ensure that your website includes the following five functions:

1. The ability to capture an 'opt in' Database of your clients' names and email addresses so that you can contact them regularly. (I will speak more about this in Step Five - Activate Your Recurring Income)
2. A Newsletter (that can be managed by the Content Management System, or CMS)
3. A Content Management System (or CMS) which gives you the ability to change your content / images etc without having to go back to your web designer every time you need a change.
4. A Shopping Cart (or at a bare minimum the ability to capture payments from your customers, such as using Paypal) which ideally will also have an Affiliate Program attached. An Affiliate Program will allow you to recruit an army of sales people who only get paid when the customers they refer to your website actually buy something. An excellent Shopping Cart will also have an Auto-Responders feature, which allows you to set up automated communication with your customers for as long or as short a period as you want. A good Shopping Cart will also allow you to manage your Newsletter and your Database as well.
5. And finally your website will need a high quality Sales Letter, which includes:
o A great headline that summarises exactly what you do in a positive way ( A big compelling promise),
o All of the benefits of your Products or Services (remember to sell the Sizzle not the sausage and the best way to do this is for every benefit add the word "which means" afterwards and explain why the benefit is of benefit to them,)
o Emotive / descriptive language that sells the dream / solves the problem that your Product or Service provides. Remember: When emotion is up intelligence is down and people tend to buy on emotion more than on logic,
o A description of what they will receive in return for their investment,
o Testimonies (written, audio and video if possible) and make sure they are legitimate,
o A money back guarantee to make their purchase risk free,
o Any additional bonuses that may add extra value to the Product or Service (but make sure the bonus is relevant) and,
o An irresistible offer and price, that is time and product sensitive, and that uses the scarcity principle (eg the less there is, the more people want it)
For example; the Product or Service is only available for a limited time or there are only 5 of these products left.

And remember…When building a website you will also need to consider your domain name and website hosting.

o A Domain Name is the website address where your customers find you on the internet eg www.activateyourbusiness.com.au)
o Quality, low cost domain name companies include: www.intaserve.com and www.godaddy.com
o Website and email hosting gives you the ability to run your website, email, shopping cart and blog etc from your domain name.

Most domain name and / or website design companies will also offer hosting and email support.

Well there it is, I hope you have enjoyed this post and as your trusted authority I would highly recommend that you take some time out at the end of this post (or as soon as you are able) and identify;

• Firstly, the Purpose of your website (eg is it to project your message, to manage your message, to sell products and services, to automate your offline functions, to act as a "brochure" for your company, or all of the above)
• Then you need to decide on the Type of website you want,
• Then the Key Functions you want your website to have and finally;
• It’s time to find a high quality web designer that you resonate with to build it for you.

And then once you have done all of this…What is one action that you can take immediately that will help you to Activate Your Website?

And as always I challenge you to have achieved it before you read the next post.

And if you would like to speak with me personally about how I can support you to become a highly valued, trusted authority in your market niche then visit www.activateyourbusiness.com.au and click on the FREE Business Activation Session image for more details. I’m Andrew McCombe from Activate your business and here’s to activating your Website with EASE…….Bye for now.
Andrew McCombe
Activate Your Business

Watch the FREE 7 Steps to Becoming a Trusted Authority in your Market Niche Video Series at www.BecomeATrustedAuthority.com.au

Activate Your Business - Produce, Position and Project Your Unique Ideas with EASE
PO Box 1229,
Manly, New South Wales
Australia 1655
Phone: 1300 886 127
or +61 2 9977 3362
info@activateyourbusiness.com.au
www.activateyourbusiness.com.au
Andrew McCombe

Postby Andrew McCombe » Sun May 20, 2012 5:41 pm

Hi there, I’m Andrew McCombe from Activate your business and welcome to step 5 of the 7 steps to becoming a trusted authority series.

Today I want to talk about how to activate a Recurring Income for the lifetime of your business.

Did you know that less than 1% of visitors to a website will purchase anything on their first visit?

And you also know that the best websites in the world only convert 2-3% of their visitors to a sale?

So what is the solution to this problem? …Simple…Build a database:

At a bare minimum you should be trying to capture the names and email address of your website visitors. This is possibly the most valuable thing you can own when it comes to your business as a trusted authority.

Why do we need a database?

1) So we can contact our subscribers on a regular basis with quality information / articles / tips / ideas and special offers.
2) So we can build reputation, credibility, value and regularity which means you will eventually become a trusted authority to your subscribers. Which also means…
3) On average your subscribers will purchase from you on the 7-10th contact from you and so on and so on…

So how do we capture a potential customers name and email address?.....The best way is to offer them something of value for free.

A free video series, a free report, a free e-book, a free audio download, a free 10 steps guide etc in return for their name and email address. This is called "opting in" and once they have opted in they are saying that they give you permission to contact them.

When you are proving a free gift for opting in it is important that you follow these steps;

Firstly, ensure that the "free gift" that you offer your prospect is of a very high quality and that it helps them in some way, but still leaves them wanting more,

Second, put a value on the "free gift" so that even though they are getting it for free, it enhances their perceived value of it,

Next, is your "free gift" should have a "special offer" at the end of it giving your prospects the chance to purchase one of your products that solves their problem,

And remember…always have your contact name, phone number, website and email address on it, (preferably at the bottom of every page, to increase your brand awareness and the ability of your subscribers to be able to contact you),

Finally and most importantly if your "free gift" has no value and is just a con to get their email address, it will affect your reputation and credibility instantly, they will never purchase from you and are more than likely to unsubscribe from you.

And remember: Your subscribers are likely to purchase from you on the 7th-10th contact they have with you, so be very sure to provide more than enough value in all of your contacts with them prior to their first purchase. This cannot be stressed enough. Even if they do not purchase from you on the 7th-10th contact they may refer you to friends or they may contact you in years to come.

I have had many clients who have been on my database for a number of years before they finally contact me when the time is right for them. So be persistent and consistent with your high quality marketing efforts.

If you would like to see an example of an excellent Database Capture, Refer 3 friends and Upsell technique that you can copy, visit one of my websites at www.activateyourweightloss.com.au, scroll down the home page and sign up for the free E-Book to see the process in action...and enjoy the free E-Book as well.

Oh and here’s another thought

If you want to increase the frequency and the amount of income you can earn on an ongoing basis, that will complement the strategy I just mentioned, it is also very important to introduce new products and services to your customers on a regular basis and you may also want to sign up to other experts or businesses affiliate programs so that you can also create income from referrals you provide to these experts or businesses from your database

And finally…make sure that you have an annual calendar or plan around your newsletter marketing efforts. Activating your recurring Income is not an ad hoc process, so atleast 3 months prior to the start of your marketing year have a think about the things you will be offering and what communication with your database will be required before and after each marketing event.

Once you are clear on this you can even create all of the content at the start of the year and add it to your autoresponder and have it all automated for you if you wish. That way you reduce the time, money and effort that it will take to keep in touch with your database on an annual basis……………..Make sense?

Well there it is, I hope you have enjoyed this post and as your trusted authority I would highly recommend that you take some time out at the end of this post (or as soon as you are able) and identify;

What you can offer to your potential customers to subscribe to your database that is high value and low cost for you that represents your businesses message?

• What is the value of the offer?
• How is the offer delivered? (eg In the post or from your website etc)
• Who are you going to get to create your offer? You or somebody else?

And then once you have done all of this….What is one action that you can take immediately that will help you to Activate Your Recurring Income?

And as always I challenge you to have achieved it before you read the next post.

And if you would like to speak with me personally about how I can support you to become a highly valued, trusted authority in your market niche then visit www.activateyourbusiness.com.au and click on the FREE Business Activation Session image for more details…I’m Andrew McCombe from Activate your business and here’s to activating your Recurring Income with EASE. - Bye for now.
Andrew McCombe
Activate Your Business

Watch the FREE 7 Steps to Becoming a Trusted Authority in your Market Niche Video Series at www.BecomeATrustedAuthority.com.au

Activate Your Business - Produce, Position and Project Your Unique Ideas with EASE
PO Box 1229,
Manly, New South Wales
Australia 1655
or +61 2 9977 3362
Andrew McCombe

Postby Andrew McCombe » Mon May 21, 2012 12:53 pm

Hi there, I’m Andrew McCombe from Activate your business and welcome to part one of step 6 of the 7 steps to becoming a trusted authority series.

Today I want to talk about how activating your marketing is not about taking a shot gun approach to finding your clients and customers, in fact the best approach I know for marketing is to get very clear on who your ideal client is, identify where they hang out and then approach them in a way that is in alignment with how you want to do your marketing.

Yes you heard that right…there are thousands of different ways you can “market” yourself to potential clients but if none of them resonate with you or your clients then it does not matter what strategy you use they will not work.

And besides… when there is alignment between your ideal client, yourself and your preferred marketing efforts you will find it takes a lot less time, money and effort to be successful.

A classic example for me personally is I used to send a regular newsletter with an article and an offer in it which would take 2-3 hours to produce and then send. I noticed that only 5-10% of my database were reading it (which is completely normal by the way) but I found that when I sent a short educational video, rather than an article within a few months the video would have been watched thousands of times over and even 3 years later the same video is still being watched.

Even more powerful for me personally was that I realized I preferred delivering my message on video as a presenter than by sending an article as an author. Therefore most of my communications are now video related.

So how does this relate to you…

Well the first few steps you need to take to ensure the success of your marketing campaign should always be
1) Getting clear on your ideal client so that you know who you really want to be helping
2) Identifying where they hang out so you can approach them and then…
3) Approaching them in a way that resonates with you and them.

And remember if you approach someone and they do not want to engage with you it does not necessarily mean what you are offering is wrong but more likely that the person you are targeting is not really your ideal client.

Ok so what are some of the different ways you could project yourself as a trusted authority?

Well there are thousands of different ways to market your business but typically they will either be FREE, Performance Based or Paid forms of marketing.
Some examples of Free marketing would be;

1) Giving away a free EBook, Audio or Video to build your database. For example you could give away a free EBook as a bonus in another like minded, non competing authority’s promotion or product launch. But remember always get them to download the EBook from your website, not the promoters. If this is not possible, make sure that your EBook has all of your website and company contact details included in it.

2) A Refer Friends or Social Media sharing module on your website After the new subscriber has downloaded the "free gift" on your website ask them to refer 3 friends and tell them you will send the 3 friends the EBook as well as well as give the referrer another free gift, such as an audio interview or something similar. Check out the Refer 3 Friends feature I created by downloading the free EBook at www.activateyourweightloss.com.au

3) Creating Video and sharing it on YouTube is an excellent way to get your message out to a global audience. Videos on YouTube can be ranked on Google as quickly as 10 minutes and often rank a lot higher in the search engines than written content alone.

4) Teleseminars and Webinars are great ways to not only get your message out to a large audience but also to build a good database, especially if you perform it with other like minded, non competing experts who invite their databases to listen or watch.

5) On and Offline Joint Ventures are a great way to get two or more entities to pool their resources to attain a common objective. For example; when I launched my book Activate Your Weight Loss I ran a 10 day Weight Loss Week whereby I interviewed 10 experts in different areas of Health and Wellbeing and the interviews were made available to subscribers for free for a 10 day period on www.activateyourweightloss.com.au.

I benefitted because everyone who wanted access to the interviews had to subscribe on my website and the experts benefitted because their message was projected out to the Activate databases as well as the other experts' databases, ensuring that everyone got their messages out to as many people as possible.

6) Publicity (PR) and Media is another great way to drive hundreds if not thousands of potential customers to your business and if done properly can sky rocket you to authority status within your industry almost overnight.

I helped a client with no brand awareness use the media to get 3 of Australia’s television outlets fighting for his story and overnight he became the face of his industry. He got over $100 000 worth of free publicity Australia wide and one enquiry alone from the exposure made him in excess of $20 000 and what’s more the entire process cost him less than $500.

What free marketing initiatives can you come up with to activate your marketing?
Andrew McCombe
Activate Your Business

PO Box 1229,
Manly, New South Wales
Australia 1655
or +61 2 9977 3362
Andrew McCombe

Postby Andrew McCombe » Mon May 21, 2012 12:55 pm

Activate Your Marketing - Part Two...

Some good examples of Performance marketing would be;

Starting your own Affiliate Program so that you can enlist a team of sales people to sell your products and services for you and they only get paid on sales they generate through their marketing efforts.

If you want to see an example of an affiliate program in action click on the Become an Activate Your Business partner tile at www.activateyourbusiness.com.au

Another idea is you can join Affiliate Program Distribution Networks where you register your products and services with large affiliate networks who promote your products and services to potential affiliates on your behalf. An excellent example of this is www.clickbank.com

Performance (or affiliate) marketing can be done on and offline but before you start, its very important to
1) Define your ideal performance partners
2) Decide how much you want to pay them
3) Create a database of them and then approach them and finally…
4) Make sure you have a quality affiliate tracking program so that you can precisely monitor and reward them for their marketing efforts.

Performed properly Performance (or Affiliate) marketing will be a very valuable part of your marketing plan.

The final type of marketing is Paid, such as;
1) Pay Per Click Advertising such as; Google Adwords, where you only pay for advertising when a potential customer clicks on your ad or…
2) Wesbite or E-zine Ads that you pay for on other businesses website or newsletter and are often very successful if you find the right fit between your offer and the website’s database.

3) Newspaper and Magazine Advertising can also be effective if you advertise in the relevant publication with a relevant offer. Although, I personally believe that this type of advertising can be very "hit and miss" especially if you do not track where your enquiries come from. This type of advertising also requires the potential customer to first of all see the ad and then act on it and it is often a very expensive way of getting leads.

If you do choose to use this form of advertising,

1. Ask for a first time advertiser discount,
2. Refuse the first offer,
3. Ask for distress rates when the publication is nearing it's deadline,
4. Purchase multi advertisements to get a discounted rate and
5. Trial one advertisement first to see what benefits you receive.

Ok there it is, I hope this post has stimulated some of your entrepreneurial creativity and given you a few ideas that you can add to your marketing plan.
But before you go racing head long into your marketing efforts I would I would highly recommend that you take some time out at the end of this post (or as soon as you are able) and identify;

1) The characteristics of your ideal client so that you know who you really want to be working with
2) Identify where they hang out so you can approach them and then…
3) Decide on 3 marketing strategies that you want to use to market to your ideal clients.

And then once you have done all of this…What is one action that you can take immediately that will help you to activate the marketing of your business?

And if you would like to speak with me personally about how I can support you to become a highly valued, trusted authority in your market niche then visit www.activateyourbusiness.com.au and click on the FREE Business Activation Session image for more details.

I’m Andrew McCombe from Activate your business and here’s to activating your marketing with EASE…Bye for now.
Andrew McCombe
Activate Your Business

PO Box 1229,
Manly, New South Wales
Australia 1655
or +61 2 9977 3362
Andrew McCombe

Postby Andrew McCombe » Tue May 22, 2012 1:21 pm

Hi there, I’m Andrew McCombe from Activate your business and welcome to the two parts in the 7 steps to becoming a trusted authority series.

Today I want to talk about how activating the automation of your business can save you a lot of time and money as you become a highly valued, trusted authority in your market niche.

Just by having a website you will begin to save time, money and effort in your business because a lot of the current "offline" functions of your business will become semi or fully automated, such as your; Database Management, Newsletter Management, Sales, Marketing, Customer Service and some Administration, but in addition to this, the outsourcing of your non preferred tasks and / or talents and the setting up of Auto-Responders on your website will add the rocket fuel behind your business automation and will ultimately propel you towards a business and life of EASE.

First lets look at Outsourcing.

Simply put, Outsourcing is the delegation of non-core business or tasks to a third party service provider with the focus in this series being more on using non-regularly paid employees for project(s), casual or part-time work.

The beauty of the out-sourced service provider is that they can be situated in any location throughout the world, and they may or may not have an office, which means they won’t cost you as much money and they will be available 24 hours per day..

The benefits of outsourcing are immense as they allow you to;

o Become non location dependant, which means you can work anywhere in the world, at any time,
o Tap a global market or markets with nothing more than your laptop and internet connection and from the comfort of your own office (or anywhere else that you choose to work), which means you can say goodbye to large office, staff and administration overheads and not to mention the daily grind of bumper to bumper traffic,
o Free up your time to spend time with your family, travel, study, keep fit and healthy, play golf and do anything else that you are passionate about because a large part of your business will be automated by your website or your project based support team that you only use as required and pay only for the tasks they perform,
o Choose when you will work each day. Because your business is automated you will only do the work you love, when you want to do it and outsource the rest to people who love doing the work you don’t and,
o Make money while you sleep and because you will significantly reduce your staff, administration, advertising and office expenses your profitability will increase almost instantly.

In order to maximize your Outsourcing success, its important to get very clear on the roles you want to outsource.

The best way to do this is write a list of all of the things you are passionate and talented at within your business and that you would like to perform and write a list of all of the ones you are not passionate or talented at but that still have to be performed. These tasks will be the ones you look to outsource.

Once you are clear on the roles you want to outsource I would then recommend that you

1) Write a clear description of what you are looking for in your provider, including; their qualifications, experience, skills, preferred language spoken, price you are willing to pay for the project, time frame for delivery, forms of communication such as phone, email, skype etc.
2) Write a clear description of the project you would like help with and then…
3) Post your project on one of the main global outsourcing websites, such as; www.elance.com, and / or if you are just looking for a virtual assistant you could Google virtual assistants or visit www.taskseveryday.com

To ensure you find the right provider for your project it’s important that you ask them;
o To see previous work samples,
o To see testimonies or feedback from their previous clients,
o To make sure they are fluent in your preferred language,

And always get them to do a mini project or "trial" before engaging them in the entire project. This will allow you to see if you are in alignment with the provider and that they are best suited to your project.

Following this…

5) Once you have found a good provider find out what other skills or tasks they can perform and add them to your team of providers. The better relationship you can create with them means the higher priority they will make your future work and the better pricing you will be able to negotiate.

And remember…

6) Never hesitate to ask your provider if they know any other providers who provide the same high quality, but different type of service that you are after. Chances are they will know someone and this will save you a lot of time, money, effort and trial and error when it comes to outsourcing your future work.
Andrew McCombe
Activate Your Business

PO Box 1229,
Manly, New South Wales
Australia 1655
or +61 2 9977 3362
Andrew McCombe

Postby Andrew McCombe » Tue May 22, 2012 1:25 pm

Part Two...Step 7...

Ok, now let’s look at Auto-Responders.

An Auto-Responder is just that, an "auto responder".

An Auto-Responder is a software application or program connected to your website that sends automated forms of communication, such as welcome emails, instructions, newsletters and articles after someone has initiated the process, by subscribing to a newsletter or requesting further information from your website.

If you have ever subscribed to any online newsletter or requested further information from a website you may have received an automated email from the website soon after subscribing. This is an Auto-Responder at work.

Business owners are now waking up to the power of automating their email communication to build and maintain relationships with their customers.
Auto-Responders can welcome new subscribers, educate them about your message, products and services, upsell and cross sell your products and services or recommend other companies products and services and generate lots of back links to your website – all of this while you are sleeping or working on other aspects of your business.

Perhaps the best thing about an Auto-Responder is you only need to create your newsletter, email, instructions, or article once and it can be sent to one or many people today or in 5 years time, depending on when they subscribe to your website or newsletter.
Now that’s Automation with EASE!

But remember…before you start an autoresponder process, its important to work out all of the communication steps within the process.

Once you are clear on this you can then create the content and the emails you want to send out, program when you want to send them and link them to whatever it is you want your subscribers to be reading, hearing or watching.

There are a number of auto responder software programs out there including Constant Contact and AWeber but my favourite is 1Shopping Cart because of it’s ease of use and the ability to add other important website marketing tools with it, such as the shopping cart, newsletters and an affiliate program.

Auto-responders are an incredible way to automate your business but to someone who is new to them they may require some more explanation, so by all means contact me if you need any further help with them.

For Outsourcing:

1. What are the roles that you would like to outsource in your Business? (eg the ones that you are not passionate about or talented at)
2. What are the characteristics of your Ideal Support Staff for each role?
3. Where will you find these Ideal Support Staff?

And for Auto Responders:

1. Identify areas of your business that would benefit by having auto responders associated to them and if so what area(s) are they?
2. What type of auto responder process can you implement for each of these areas?

And then once you have done all of this…What is one action that you can take immediately that will help you to activate the automation of your business?

And as always I challenge you to have achieved it as soon as possible.

Because this is the last post in the 7 part series I’d like to take this opportunity to wish you all the best in your journey to becoming a trusted authority in your market niche.

And remember at any stage if you would like to speak with me personally about how I can support you to become a highly valued, trusted authority in your market niche then visit www.activateyourbusiness.com.au and click on the FREE Business Activation Session image for more details.

I’m Andrew McCombe from Activate your Business and here’s to activating your automation with EASE.
Bye for now.
Andrew McCombe
Activate Your Business

PO Box 1229,
Manly, New South Wales
Australia 1655
or +61 2 9977 3362
Andrew McCombe

Postby Barbara Gabogrecan » Thu May 24, 2012 8:11 am

Hi Andrew - unfortunately I had a computer melt down (lost the hard drive from my server) and so have not been able to access this Forum and read your posts. But that is what I will be doing now - they look to be so interesting.
Cheers
Barb
Barbara Gabogrecan assists HBB's to market their business online
http://www.HomeBasedBusinessAustralia.org

Barbara is an artist specialising in silk painting; her video is on page one of You Tube http://youtu.be/1ZA9HObN_Go
http://www.SilkPaintingByGabogrecan.com/

Having survived a stroke and a brain tumour, Barbara wrote a book titled 'Thank God I Had a Stroke' to motivate and inspire others suffering from similar afflictions.
http://GabogrecanStrokeRecovery.com/
Barbara Gabogrecan

Postby Barbara Gabogrecan » Fri May 25, 2012 7:21 am

I have finally got through all your posts Andrew and am gobsmacked! What a wealth of information. I like the way you challenge readers to take action - I know it is so hard to get the action that we want. Everyone is so busy and prioritise (often in the wrong way I think) - but as my gran used to say - "You can lead a horse to water, but yoy can't make it drink!"

I think your information is so valuable that I would like to place some of the posts in a number of blogs I have. Is that OK? The blogs are:-
http://homebasedbusinessaustralia.org/blog/
http://homebusinessstartupnow.com/blog/
http://marketingandpromotion.org/blog/

The more people that can read your message - the better!
Cheers
Barb
Barbara Gabogrecan assists HBB's to market their business online

Barbara is an artist specialising in silk painting; her video is on page one of You Tube http://youtu.be/1ZA9HObN_Go
http://www.SilkPaintingByGabogrecan.com/

Having survived a stroke and a brain tumour, Barbara wrote a book titled 'Thank God I Had a Stroke' to motivate and inspire others suffering from similar afflictions.
http://GabogrecanStrokeRecovery.com/
Barbara Gabogrecan

Postby Andrew McCombe » Fri May 25, 2012 7:46 am

THanks Barb of course you can share the content elsewhere.

I agree you can lead a horse to water but it is up to the individual to drink the water.

Hopefully some of the content will inspire business owners to do something as it is very liberating to share a message with the world.
Andrew McCombe
Activate Your Business

PO Box 1229,
Manly, New South Wales
Australia 1655
or +61 2 9977 3362
Andrew McCombe

Postby Peter O'Connor » Fri May 25, 2012 11:50 am

Thanks Andrew - some great info here!

Regarding autoresponders, I agree that they are a fabulous tool for marketing followup, if used properly. However, many of us do not know how to use them properly and simply bombard our contact list with a scattergun approach. Perhaps you could touch on how to segregate contacts into lists and then how to correctly target those lists with the appropriate messages. Another thing many of us don't know is how many messages should we send to a list and how often?

I am currently looking at upgrading our shopping cart. We currently use a very basic one (Roman Cart) but find that it is lacking the ability to redirect purchasers to different URL's (depending on the product) after the purchase. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks again for your great info.

Regards

Peter
Peter O'Connor, is a retired accountant and is involved with teaching home based businesses how to build and manage their own websites.
Peter O'Connor

PreviousNext

Return to Guest Experts