Welcome Neville Christie - Create a Business With Soul

This Forum invites a number of experts to be a guest for one week and control discussions on specific topics. The public can gain a great deal of free information from reading the posts, but only members may write posts, add to discussions and ask and answer questions. I hope that everyone enjoys the forums and topics that will be featured.
Barbara Gabogrecan
President

Re: Welcome Neville Christie - Create a Business With Soul

Postby Anne Morton » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:12 pm

Hi Neville
Thank you for all your terrific comments - so uplifting. It's great to realise that my dream can be more than just a dream. Your advice has made me see that it can be a goal worthy of aiming for.

We started out in our first home based business at a time when we needed employment of some sort and it was available - a franchise. It worked exceptionally well for us particularly in the first 20 years so we have no complaints about it. But I guess we wanted more and our second business was started as a hobby and grew like mushrooms in the autumn. We were pleased to make it our first business, but it is not based on any structure just that we enjoyed doing it.

So I think we struggle to define a core purpose, apart from the fact that we enjoy what we are doing and hope our customers enjoy the fruits of our labour too. I hope this doesn’t make us a soulless business?

I really liked that very first quote you gave from Edwin Abbey. That really suits the way I feel. Where does it come from?
Regards
Anne
Anne Morton
Lifestyle Video Productions
www.lifestylevideos.com.au
AVPA Accredited Member (Special Event)
Winner 2008 AVPA National Awards - Stage Production-School
Winner 2006 AVPA National Awards - Documentary Category 2
Anne Morton

Postby Neville Christie » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:32 pm

Great to hear your story Anne and, like you, I love it that in business our dreams can become real.

I really savour what Henry David Thoreau, the influential US poet, essayist and mystic had to say about dreams: “Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life [and business] you’ve imagined… Dreams are the touchstones of your character. If you advance confidently in the direction of your dreams, and endeavour to live a life which you’ve imagined, you will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”

Acquiring a franchise is a great way to state a business, often. Where the system is well proven, and the training is top knotch. So I’m glad it went so well for you.

Ah but then you tapped into your hobby as the basis of a new business. That’s one part of the four-purposes of a business – to grow you and your interests and to become the person you want.

I suggest that if you think a little more about the FOUR purposes for starting any business, and come up with answers, your business, and your view of your business, becomes much more powerful. And much more meaning-full

So let me turn them into questions:
• In what specific ways are you making the lives of others better ?
• How is your ‘hobby’ business growing and evolving you - making you bigger, brighter, better
• How do you want to see one tiny part of the world made a better place?
• How is your business making you and others wealthier and richer – in the fullest sense of those words?

I’m glad you like Edward Abbey’s quote: "May all your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view, where something strange, and more beautiful, and more full of wonder than your deepest dreams, waits for you."

It comes from a book of his poetry entitled, “Earth Apples”, published in 1994.

You might like another of his quotes: “A great thirst is a great joy when quenched in time”.

Go well, Neville
Last edited by Neville Christie on Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Neville Christie

Postby Neville Christie » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:01 pm

Join the resource revolution!

HOW TO CREATE AND GROW A BUSINESS WITH SOUL - 5

Share, share the tools, the resources, the abundance, the wealth…

Today we ask: "How well are you using fully the amazing new tools, networks, resources and abundance now readily available to you?”

The world at your door step

The day of the lone entrepreneur has gone. The day of the solo networked entrepreneur is here. For the home-based business surge is far more communal and tribal than ever before. It keeps growing because we all have been handed shared tools to create a business quite different from any created since the industrial revolution begun.

So today, your business, whatever its shape or form, or products or services, is aided by the Internet, the smart phone, search engines, social media, transformative digital technologies, globalization, changes in global mores, the values and skills of the ‘digital generation’, and so on, and so on …

Unlike at any other time, these wonderful Enablers take you, and your home-based business, to the world. And they bring the entire world to your door. That is if you purposively use these enablers! Are you?

Instant know-how, instant access

Now for the first time in human history, you can be truly connected to every other person, and every resource, on the planet. You have instant access to humankind’s total treasure trove of know-how and knowledge. You can attend multiple Universities on line. And you can tap into a true global brain-mind consciousness [The Internet plus Google plus Wikipedia, etc]. All from your home. All as part of your business. Staggering. Truly awesomely staggering.

New resources only

And you are building your business around these resources, aren’t you? You are not adopting the old do-it-alone, I must own and control it all mind set, are you?

More revolutions ahead

Of course, all this and more, is revolutionizing our lives, our businesses, and the global world order. Have a look at the http://www.ted.com video, “Did you know? The Future is getting better”. This video indicates the digital revolution, the biotechnical revolution, the nanotech revolution, the ecology revolution, and the brain-mind-science based on-line learning revolution are all just starting. Fantastic. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1NJ9Vv-Y6Q

What this means…

What this means is as an individual and home-based business owner, you don’t have to know it all, or to have it all, to start your business. And to survive and thrive. Client by client you can learn as you go. Day in, day out you can purposively access new resources…

And you no longer have to be BIG, to make a big impact. Amazing! Providing, that is, you keep investing to connect, to gain access, to obtain abundant resources and you focus on output, and on your end purposes.

Hopefully, you as day-by-day tap into this abundance that’s already there, your horizon changes. You’ll yearn to learn more and more. And you’ll lift your game.

Connect! Connect! Connect!

To start together, let’s get these three elements really clear:

1. Today, wonderfully, you as a home-based, sole business owner, are part of a huge, global, yearning, learning, earning tribe. So connect - more broadly, more deeply, more often! [How? See Action below].

2. Yes, yes, yes! Every day go on your new journey of discovery, creativity, learning, and connecting with clients. But, no, no, no! If you’re wise, you won’t reinvent any wheel. Define the wheels you want and need. Accept every business wheel you ever need is already there, waiting for you to connect with it. Then, search for, discover, and connect daily with all your free, and low-cost available resources!

3. Your business with SOUL gives you the life style. ‘riches’, and life you yearn for. So each day connect with your soul, psyche, the real you, your inner knowing, your essence, your Inner Guides, your unconscious, your super-conscious, your global mind… Use any words you resonate with. And let that essence create and build your business. How to connect with your inner essence? Reread these blogs. Reflect. Ask your mentors, and your tribe. Work at it. [When you learn this skill, and document it, you’ve created a new product or ‘intellectual property’ for your business].

So, please, read, chew on, digest and apply

• every single business tool or system you can ever need already exists, and waits for you to use and apply
• every idea, product, service you might want to sell already exists in your own soul, or ‘out there’ waiting for you to repackage in your own unique way
• people and systems already exist who can deliver all the clients you’ll ever need to your door
• you can choose to keep your business local like, for example, in running a restaurant, a massage service, or a crèche. But equally if you want it, the whole world, made up of billions of potential new friends, is your potential market.

Absolutely unique

These packages of technologies, tools, opportunities - with your name already stamped on them - are unique in world history. So, I invite you to abolish any ‘scarcity’, ‘poverty’ or ‘lack of know-how or resources’ mind set you might still have. Then, act as follows to start claiming your abundant inheritance. And build your life and business on this abundance that is yours to claim.

Action

1. If you believe in the power of positive affirmations – and I certainly do – you might like to try this video, “I am Abundance” and change the affirmations to suit your personality and your situation. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lIMRKCYKxg

2. Get really, really acquainted with businessballs.com. http://www.businessballs.com/. It has many of the business and management ideas, models, tools you’re ever likely to access. Start with the Alphabetical Index.

3. Check out these 20 business tools for small businesses: http://www.forbes.com/sites/tanyaprive/ ... usinesses/

4. And these 30 terrific tools: http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonnazar/ ... usinesses/

5. Maybe you can use some of these 270+ tools for running your business on-line. Note they were last updated in September 2008: http://mashable.com/2008/09/21/270-onli ... ess-tools/

6. I highly recommend: “The Lean StartUp” by Eric Ries. You can find the digital version and a review here. http://tinyurl.com/n2zcyxg

7. And it’s more tool-based sequel, “Running Lean,” by Ash Maurya, http://www.ashmaurya.com/2012/01/the-ne ... lean-book/
Tomorrow we look at How to Survive and Thrive.

Let’s be the exception

We finish with two quotes. One from that great thinker, Henry David Thoreau: “Wealth is the ability to fully experience life.”

And one from the much-decorated explorer, Admiral Richard E Byrd, who reminds us of the inexhaustible resources we each have within us: “Few individuals during their lifetime come anywhere near exhausting the resources dwelling within them. There are deep wells of strength that are ever used.”

Why don’t you and I be the exception?

Neville Christie, http://www.ceomentor.com
Neville Christie

Postby Neville Christie » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:48 am

You may find these quotes of interest:-

"Some men see things as they are and say, Why! I dream things that never where, and say, Why not?" Irish playwright; George Bernard Shaw.

“Enthusiasm is the electricity of life. How do you get it? You act enthusiastic until you make it a habit." Gordon Parks, award-winning Afro-American photographer and film-maker who overcame extreme poverty to make it to the top.

Are you, and your business, travelling abundantly? Or are you still living under the old rules of scarcity?
Last edited by Neville Christie on Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Neville Christie

Postby Neville Christie » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:13 am

How to survive and thrive

HOW TO CREATE AND GROW A BUSINESS WITH SOUL - 6

Be a true unbeliever

You know there are “Lies, damned lies, and statistics.” Well, the figures about the failures of Start Ups and small businesses lie. Badly.

For example, according to recent Australian research, you have almost a 50-50% chance you’ll still be running your own home-based business four years from when you started it. Actually a 48.6% chance for. And 51.4% against.http://mccrindle.com.au/ResearchSummari ... search.pdf

These figures imply failure. But, as we look today at how you can survive and thrive in your own business, I say: “Don’t believe the stats. For many reasons”:

Why disbelieve?

For example, many, many would-be start-ups get killed off well before launch date. Personally, according to the stats, I’ve killed off hundreds over the last 50 years. How come? Well, a lot of the statistics are taken from business name registrations. When they’re not renewed 3 years later, they’re taken to be failures. But, in truth, many never launch. They never survive our dialogue with potential customers who don’t want what we want to offer. At the price we want them to pay.

And, entrepreneuring is a constant, life-long process of learning. Typically our first businesses are our apprenticeship, our Entrepreneurship University, our Hex fee for learning our craft. e.g. Between the ages of 6 and 12, I started at least 16 tiny money-earning ‘businesses’ while I was at school. I picked them up and dropped them. At 12, I started to get serious and started 3 far more substantial home-based businesses. By 13, while still full-time at school, I had four micro-businesses, employing others, with formal accounts, and earning me 3-4 times the basic wage. More than enough to support my family, and pay all my fees and living costs to go to school and to that other type of University, made up of professors and buildings.

So you see, the official figures never assess this learning, or how we morph our businesses, or take them on to new, different, better things.
Why? And why not?

In fact, there are a number of reasons why you might chose to stop your business within the first four years of StartUp – none of them constituting ‘failures’:

• Your reason for starting your business in the first place changes. e.g. Your children start school and you get a job working for the Man.
• You only ever meant your business to be a hobby or life-style business that you pick up and drop when you choose.
• You gain a totally different view of who you are in the world, who you want to be, and how you want to be.
• You learn from your first business, close it down, and start a different one.
• You sell or give your business away to someone else.
• You merge your businesses with others.
• You grow fast, employ others, and move out of home.

In short, as I have already said, your first home-based business, or businesses, may simply be you serving your apprenticeship and you learning this wonderful game of being an entrepreneur.

Key reasons for ‘success’

But if you want to play the statistical game of success, and not only survive, but thrive, here are just a few of the ‘secrets’:

• You get yourself a mentor, or two, or three and so you learn quickly enough the full range of skills you need to grow and be highly effective.
• You work with, and through others, and learn how to create a systematic sales process and system which is the key to turning a hobby or life-style business into a ‘real’ business.
A Neville-ism: “Until we have a day-in, day-out systematic sales system, we are not a business, but a hobby”.

• You reach, and pass, the basic survival point of $200,000 sales a year – where you can afford to employ others. [Over the four year period studied, just under a third (29%) of all Australian businesses had sales of less than $50,000. Another third (34.5%) got sales between $50,000-$200,000. And a final third (36.5%) had a turnover exceeding $200,000. Unsurprisingly, companies who reached the $200,000 target in the first 4 years had the highest survival rate. Those with under $50,000 the lowest].

• You co-invent, co-create with real customers products or services they really want, at a price they are prepared to pay, and which makes you money.
• You are one of the 43% of Australian businesses who have a web site. And one of only 7% of businesses who sell overseas.

• Your web site scales well on smart phones. By January 2014, according to technology researchers, Deloitte Digital, mobiles will be used 15 times a day more than computers, and 50% of all searches will be done by mobile phones. [If you want to see the big difference of scaling for the phone, check out two of my own sites on your phone. The non-scaled site: http://www.nevillechristie.com. And the scaled site: http://www.nevillechristie.com.au].

• You create your business in an industry with high survival rates – such as: health care and social assistance (71.6%), agriculture, forestry and fishing (69.8%), or rental, hiring and real estate services (67.8%).

• You have a strong intellectual property and service element to your business, because you know: “Intellectual Property is the real estate of the C21st”.
• You, yourself, become your business brand.
• You keep building strong personal dialogue with a growing number of clients. And with your resource network.

• You get VERY clear about the overriding BIG Purpose that gives amazing direction to your life and hence your business. After all, “Your life purpose is to create a life of purpose.” And so you focus, rather than zig zag all over the place:

Purpose, purpose, purpose

It’s this last key point about an overarching Purpose I keep returning to. Why? Well simply put: Your overarching core Life Purpose, translated into Business Purposes, is the single biggest key to your business and life success, by far.

The final word

Wise, old Benjamin Franklin gives us one of today’s quotes: “Without continual growth and progress, such words as improvement, achievement, and success have no meaning.”

And that great writer, Anon, our other: “Life isn’t about learning how to weather the storm. It’s about learning how to dance in the rain”.

Last blog

True to old Bennie, and completing the ten big questions we asked you in our first Blog, tomorrow we ask: How will you know when you and your business ‘arrive’? What, for you, does ‘success’ really, truly, look and feel like?

Till then

Neville Christie, http://www.nevillechristie.com.au
Neville Christie

Postby Geoff Haw » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:58 am

Thanks for your response to my somewhat garrulous words earlier this week, Neville. All good grist for the mill. Ah yes – our true persona and who’s behind the mask – and further, is the mask authentic or false? It certainly challenges the Shakespearian line: “To thine own self be true”.
I enjoy sleeping at night – yet seeing how some people in business function (think Shonky-R-Us), I often wonder how they manage to sleep. As you say so sagely, the journey for our life/businesses means stripping away false masks. Real soul.

Just this week I’ve had four people with whom I have developed business links provide feedback that suggests that they have seen (and appreciated) my own soul and that of my business. It is a warm and gratifying feeling, and certainly aids the sleep process. You've set us on an excellent trail of discovery.

Neville, what pure gold it has been for me to ruminate on your many philosophical gems. To quote this week’s discovery learning word for a ‘notable person’, it seems to me that you have a definite “repository” of wisdom!

I found that reading through your contributions over the week has been nothing short of uplifting. Sometimes I found that these affirming; occasionally challenging; but always highly relevant. As for your “Nevilleisms”, magnificent!

Your comments on the teased-out meaning/s of “unique” in terms of the unique qualities we offer in our business strike a chord with me. (Mind you, some people talk about being ‘very unique’, or the ‘most unique’, when we know it’s a bit like pregnancy – you either are or are not! Certainly no shades of grey!)

I resigned from a senior management role 13 years ago to set up my own enterprise and basically work from home, after having been responsible for 1300 personnel. What a difference when you manage your own tiny business! But I like it – and tend to now value it even more now that I have read your comments this week.

I found that working from home, even if I were often out somewhere else ‘on the job’, you need to be good company for yourself. Some people need people around them (remember Barbra Streisand telling us in song that ‘People who need people are the luckiest people of all?); a good few simply like to be around others; and a few don’t really care for them at all – unless, of course, they are highly valued paying clients! But the ability to be relatively resilient and somewhat self-sufficient is a valuable quality, I have found. I have long enjoyed my own company, but then again, I love interacting with people.

It’s been a week of highly stimulating and thought-provoking reading, Neville, and the good thing is, there’s more to come. I suspect that your many readers this week ‘dips their lids’ in appreciation of your input.
Thank you.
Geoff

Dr Geoff Haw FACE CMC D.Arts M.Ed. Grad Dip Ed Admin TPTC Cert. IV Training & Assessment
Managing Director, Sagacity Services
PO BOX 4007 NARRE WARREN SOUTH VIC 3805
T: +61 3 5998 4932 M: 0418 580 081
E: geoff@sagacityservices.com.au
• Civil Celebrant / MC: http://www.celebratetoremember.com
• Job Applications
• Writer / Editor: http://www.writeyourlifestory.com.au
• Trainer: Public Speaking / Leadership
W: http://www.sagacityservices.com.au
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
Sagacity (sə-gās'ĭ-tē) incorporates both knowledge and wisdom gained through experience, as in the quality of being discerning, sound in judgment and far-sighted.
Geoff Haw

Postby Peter O'Connor » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:10 pm

Thanks for some great material Neville. I like your unknown quote "The limits you are living with right now, in every aspect of your existence, have been created by your mind. They are perceptions and they are holding you back. You are capable of far more than you think you are." I know exactly how this feels.

I was trained as an accountant - not to be entrepreneurial, but to manage with a highly risk-averse attitude to everything and anything.

It's only since I retired, for health reasons, in 2004 that I started to see that some risks were worth taking. Now, I even surprise myself with some of the ventures I embark on - not all end up turning out the way I envisaged, but boy has it been a great learning experience. We can learn just as much from our failures as we can from our successes. My idea now is to "give it a go". If it works - great! If it doesn't - why not? Is there another way to approach it? Ten years ago, I could not have even contemplated this "risky" attitude. Maybe, it's because now I'm playing with my own money instead of my employer's. Whatever the reason, I'm getting a great buzz out of life that I never did before and the only change is between my ears!

Thanks for your great insights.

Peter
Peter O'Connor, is a retired accountant and is involved with teaching home based businesses how to build and manage their own websites.
http://www.HomeBasedBusinessAustralia.org
Peter O'Connor

Postby Barbara Gabogrecan » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:20 am

NOTE. Neville has experienced some difficulty accessing the Forum over the last couple of days. I have entered this, his last post, for him.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
What’s success?
Way back in the dim, dark ages of history, in 1905, a Boston firm offered prizes for the best essay under 100 words about, “What Constitutes Success?”
Entries poured in from all over the US. But a Mrs Bessie A Stanley of Kansas eventually won the first prize of two hundred and fifty dollars – or $ 6,580, in 2013 dollars.
Her definition read

“He has achieved success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much. Who has gained the respect of intelligent men and the love of little children. Who has filled his niche and accomplished his task. Who has left the world better than he found it - whether by an improved poppy, a perfect poem, or a rescued soul. Who has never lacked appreciation of earth’s beauty or failed to express it. Who has always looked for the best in others and given the best he had. Whose life was an inspiration. Whose memory a benediction.” 96 words!

Bessie was clear
Bessie knew her mind. But what, for you, does ‘success’ really, truly, look and feel like? How will you know when you, and your business, ‘arrive’? What will be your prize? And what’s its value? What will arrival be worth?

Turn away
I believe, for decades we’ve been hugely brain-washed with a narrow, materialistic, individualistic, high profile, view of success – particularly from US gurus and snake oil merchants. They make money from us as they show us screen after screen of their rising bank accounts. And as we buy their snake oil.
Octavio Paz, the Mexican poet, essayist and Noble-Prize winner, had enough of the US success ‘brain-washing’: “The North American system only wants to consider the positive aspects of reality,” he wrote.

“Men and women are subjected from childhood to an inexorable process of adaptation. Certain principles, contained in brief formulas are endlessly repeated by the Press, the radio, the churches, and the schools, and by those kindly, sinister beings, the North American mothers and wives.
“A person imprisoned by these schemes is like a plant in a flowerpot too small for it: he cannot grow or mature.”
Strong words. Do you agree with them?

Personally, I reckon, his words also apply somewhat, but far less strongly, to Australia. And we’re wise to consciously get really clear what’s our OWN view of success:
• one that encompasses a holistic view of wealth, achievement, striving, and well-being
• one that considers both internal soul values, and external values
• one that has family and relationships as one of its focii
• one that is both individualistic, and tribal-communal-global, and
• one that sees success as an ongoing journey of learning and discovery - with occasional ‘arrivals’ on the way..

Ongoing journey
For, I agree with ‘Bob’ Hastings, who wrote in one of his 26 books: “Sooner or later we must realize there is no station, no one place to arrive at once and for all. The true joy of life [and business] is the trip…Life must be lived as we go along.”

“Life must be lived as we go along.” This last sentence is particularly poignant for me. Throughout his difficult and troubled working life, my father was always listing what he’d do when he ‘retired’. But in his late fifties, as a non-smoker, who inhaled lots of cement dust and sulfur fumes, Dad developed acute emphysema. As the air sacs of his lungs progressively eroded, Dad never got around to doing any of his long, long list of things. In some senses my Dad barely lived.
Success wears many disguises

Clearly, there is no ‘one size fits all’ success package.
“What is known as success assumes nearly as many aliases as those who seek it,” suggests Stephen Birmingham who authored 26 books. But, Birmingham warns, “Like the Holy Grail, success seldom appears to those who pursue it.”
Mmmm that bit’s interesting. Do you agree with him? Is success, like profit, not something we aim for? But a residual, or a by-product of us achieving other ends, other strivings, other yearnings? I reckon so. You?

Success a by-product
Holocaust survivor, and psychotherapist, Viktor E Frankl, believes this. Frankl writes in his important book, ‘Man’s Search for Meaning’, “Don't aim at success. The more you aim at it and make it a target, the more you are going to miss it. For success, like happiness, cannot be pursued; it must ensue, and it only does so as the unintended side effect of one's personal dedication to a cause greater than oneself or as the by-product of one's surrender to a person other than oneself.” http://www.thesatirist.com/books/Frankl_Meaning.html

Success is highly personal
Certainly I agree with the famous TV hostess Oprah Winfrey that, “each of us has a personal calling that's as unique as a fingerprint.”
“And that the best way to succeed is to discover what you love. And then find a way to offer it to others in the form of service, working hard, and also allowing the energy of the universe to lead you.” [Note both the service, making-a-worthwhile-contribution, and the spiritual bit creeping in here!]

Did it my way
Song-writer, poet, Bob Dylan, follows the strong US theme of individualism. He wrote, “A man [person] is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do.” So like Frank Sinatra, do we sing, “I did it my way”?. http://www.lyricsfreak.com/f/frank+sina ... 56378.html.
Do we narrowly follow Christopher Morley, the man of letters, who wrote, “There is only one success – to be able to spend your life in your own way”?

The tribal story
Or, given the tribal, and interconnected, nature of our modern world, is there another success story that runs parallel to the ‘doing it my way’, strongly individualistic story?
Was Irish playwright George Bernard Shaw right when he wrote: “This is the true joy of life, the being used for a purpose recognized as a mighty one. The being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap. Being a force of nature instead of a feverish, selfish little clod of ailments and grievances, complaining that the world will not devote itself to make you happy.”

Was he serious? Or posturing , over-dramatically, as Shaw tended to do?

How to measure old-style success? How long does traditional success take?
Sure some people buy one Tatts ticket and win. But the odds are 8,145,060 to 1. http://tatts.com/tattersalls/about/odds-of-winning. And research suggests on average it takes the vast bulk of businesses three years to become cumulatively break-even. That is three years before positive cash flows equal the costs and investments made.
And, yes, it appears some internet entrepreneurs are instant successes. A very few are, and even they don’t tell the full story. Many of these fail, and fail miserably, the second-time round. http://www.moneycontrol.com/smementor/m ... 17870.html
“Fall down seven times, get up eight times,” suggests the Japanese proverb. “Have no fear of perfection,” screams Spanish surrealist painter, Salvador Dali, “You'll never reach it”.

According to Lisa M Amos, “Entrepreneurs average 3.8 failures before final success. What sets the successful ones apart is their amazing persistence”. From my experience that seems a very low number. My experience is more like that of magician, Chriss Angel, “I worked 18 years to become an overnight success.”
Old-style monetary and fame success takes as long as it takes. Best we focus on enjoying the journey day-by-day. Best we follow the advice of golfer Ben Hogan, “As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round.”

Three vital keys
So to summarize the messages of these seven blogs, there are three vital keys to you being a life-long success – however YOU define that:
First, you get your Life and Business purpose absolutely clear. This is the first, most vital, most fundamental building block in you moving you forward.

Second, you access your tribe and the right mentors as the big key to your personal and business growth. [I reckon these mentors already exist for you, right here in this internet forum moderated by Barbara Gabogrecan. Research clearly indicates two or more ‘innocent’ peers, questioning and learning together, is by far the best of all types of mentoring].

Read the bio of US President Lincoln. It is a litany of learnings, set-backs, cul-de-sacs, and ‘failures’. http://www.school-for-champions.com/his ... ilures.htm. Yet as President he said, “I'm a success today because I had a friend who believed in me and I didn't have the heart to let him down”.

Third, you need never be short of resources. Every resource you ever need already exists in some form. As you discover how to access them… And you commit to doing so… You have a super-abundant, global, ‘venture bank’ of know-how, skills, money, resources at your beck and call.
Action
1. In your special file or notebook, develop further, as a second draft, the answers you’ve already given to these questions:
• What, for me, does ‘success’ really, truly, look and feel like?
• How will I know when I, and my business, ‘arrive’?

2. To assist you with your answers, please read these three articles:
• creating success http://tinybuddha.com/blog/define-succe ... rting-now/
• defining success http://elitedaily.com/money/entrepreneu ... e-success/
• six factors to consider http://www.thewisdomjournal.com/Blog/ho ... -consider/

3. Download and read your free copy of “How to achieve success on your own terms”. This is a helpful and interesting e-book by Perth-based small business coach, Bree Vreedenburgh, the Founder and Principal, of BV International. See: http://www.bvint.com/

An invitation
I’ve enjoyed sharing my thoughts and experiences with you here. Within a month I’ll finish an ebook about Business with Soul. If you’d like a free copy, email me at neville@nevillechristie.com. Tell me a little about you and your business. Ask any questions you might have. And request a copy.

We end with best-selling author, John C Maxwell. He suggests success echoes 3 of the 4 purposes I’ve indicated underlie us starting our own business: “Success is... knowing your purpose in life, growing to reach your maximum potential, and sowing seeds that benefit others.”

Enjoy your success! I’ve enjoyed dialoguing with you.

Neville D Christie, http://www.nevillechristie.com
Barbara Gabogrecan assists HBB's to market their business online

Barbara is an artist specialising in silk painting; her video is on page one of You Tube http://youtu.be/1ZA9HObN_Go
http://www.SilkPaintingByGabogrecan.com/

Having survived a stroke and a brain tumour, Barbara wrote a book titled 'Thank God I Had a Stroke' to motivate and inspire others suffering from similar afflictions.
http://GabogrecanStrokeRecovery.com/
Barbara Gabogrecan

Postby Barbara Gabogrecan » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:29 am

Not only has Neville given us some remarkable information, he has also stoically stuck with the Forum, spending a great deal of time trying to get it to work for him, over the last couple of days. I could not find any problems, so could not 'fix' it for him. But his persistence gave me another insight into our remarkable expert. A true expert does not 'throw in the towel' just because everything goes haywire - he just figures out another way to achieve what he is aiming for.

Thank you so much Neville for maintaining your professional approach to this and for sharing so much valuable knowledge with us. I note that you already have over 3000 readers - really remarkable! Very few experts have been able to achieve this in such a short period of time.
Warm wishes
Barb
Barbara Gabogrecan assists HBB's to market their business online

Barbara is an artist specialising in silk painting; her video is on page one of You Tube http://youtu.be/1ZA9HObN_Go
http://www.SilkPaintingByGabogrecan.com/

Having survived a stroke and a brain tumour, Barbara wrote a book titled 'Thank God I Had a Stroke' to motivate and inspire others suffering from similar afflictions.
http://GabogrecanStrokeRecovery.com/
Barbara Gabogrecan

Postby Neville Christie » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:04 pm

Ahhh Peter

Thanks so much for sharing your story. Technical glitches this end, that Barbara referred to, prevented me from responding until now.
In contrast to you, I was raised with the view that “the greatest risk is not taking a risk”. So it’s interesting that your and my different mind sets have led us into quite different life paths. But how glorious you’re breaking free now. That excites me.

And I can understand why you and I like the quote, "The limits you are living with right now, in every aspect of your existence, have been created by your mind. They are perceptions and they are holding you back. You are capable of far more than you think you are."

I note you say in your by-line you are a ‘retired’ accountant. May I be naughty enough to challenge you to change that. At age 71, I don’t believe I will ever retire till its wooden box time. In fact, I am doing more, more faster, more better, with more enjoy than ever before . [Bad grammar I know – just to make the point].

Personally I think re-tire is what we do with those wheels on a car – either re-tyre them or buy new ones. I reckon the new ones are better. So rather than retire ourselves we re-invent ourselves and that’s exactly what you’ve done and are redoing. So please remove that word.

Statistics and especially averages, lie. But two statistics, back up why I think this way. The typical average male, after retirement, spends a year travelling the world, playing golf, doing new things. Then he settles down to watch television 44 hours a week – effectively replacing his full-time job with television. And then, statistically, on average, he dies 3.8 years after retirement.

So like Woody Allen I ask, “If I never retire, does that mean I’ll never die”. Thanks again, Peter. And back to you. And your re-invention..
Neville Christie

PreviousNext

Return to Guest Experts